Pages

Sunday 10 January 2021

Kindness

Photo on <a href="https://photostockeditor.com/image/man-holding-card-with-seeking-human-kindness-text-2426">Photostockeditor</a>

"We can be of service, by bringing some kindness, care groundedness and balance to those around us."
Give

Of all the public places, dear
to make a scene, I’ve chosen here.

Of all the doorways in the world
to choose to sleep, I’ve chosen yours.
I’m on the street, under the stars.

For coppers I can dance or sing.
For silver-swallow swords, eat fire.
For gold-escape from locks and chains.

It’s not as if I’m holding out
for frankincense or myrrh, just change.

You give me tea. That’s big of you.
I’m on my knees. I beg of you.


Simon Armitage


Kindness


If I can stop one heart from breaking,


I shall not live in vain;


If I can ease one life the aching.


Or cool one pain,


Or help one fainting robin


Unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain.



Emily Dickenson 

It's easy during lock-down, and on this cold, dull, January Sunday afternoon, to dwell on one's misfortunes; there will be many, I'm sure. Yet perhaps one's own anxiety can be relieved by some kindness to others. Here are some other good reasons why simply being kind is good for you. You may also find the Loving Kindness Meditation helpful.

Writing prompt:

  • What act of kindness do you think the narrator, in Simon Armitage's poem, is hoping for?
  • Faced with someone begging in the street during lock-down, what would you do?
  • Do you think the issue of homelessness is currently being dealt with in the right way?
  • What can you do to stop a heart from breaking, cool someone's pain, or help one 'fainting robin'? Explore these ideas for a few minutes in your writing.








No comments:

Post a Comment