Pages

Sunday 6 November 2022

Now We Are Six


Now We Are Six

 
By A. A. Milne

When I was One,
I had just begun.
When I was Two,
I was nearly new.
When I was Three
I was hardly me.
When I was Four,
I was not much more.
When I was Five,
I was just alive.
But now I am Six,
I'm as clever as clever,
So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.

Tomorrow is the sixth birthday of my youngest granddaughter Naya and, although I'm somewhat biased, she certainly is 'clever as clever'. I'm mostly excited and curious to know what lies ahead for her and my other grandchildren, but also a little anxious.

No one could have predicted in 1961, when I became six years old, what lay ahead for me. The changes that have taken place, particularly in the field of technology, would have been unimaginable then. I consider myself fortunate though to have lived my life in peace, always with a roof over my head, enough food to eat, surrounded by lovely friends and family.

I hope little Naya has a similarly safe and wonderful time ahead of her. Happy birthday!

Writing prompts: 

  • Write a letter to your six-year-old self. What words of wisdom or advice will you give?
  • Write about what you have got to be grateful for in your life.
  • What do you think are the biggest changes that have happened in your lifetime so far? Write about them, for ten minutes.

 

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment