Pages

Wednesday 24 January 2024

This Is Home

 

https://unsplash.com/@priscilladupreez

This is home, where I belong,
In this breath, in this heart.
This is home, where I belong,
In this voice, in this song.

Sophia Efthimiou

In my wonderful Monday morning singing group, Sing Shine, we have been practising 'This I Home', a beautiful song by Sophia Efthimiou. Click here to listen to her virtual choir's rendition.

Sing Shine feels like home to me. We're a small group, and could do with a few more singers, but we always manage three and sometimes four-part harmony. It's a place where I feel safe and accepted. No matter what is going on in my life, whatever the stresses and anxieties, this lovely group, led so expertly by Fiona, keeps me mindfully in the moment and drives cares away for a while. 

When I invite others to come along to Sing Shine the usual reply is, "Oh no, I can't sing!" That probably isn't true, but even if it is, who cares? It doesn't matter what kind of voice you have, singing is guaranteed to lift the spirits. 

Writing prompts:

  • Write about where 'home' is for you. Describe a place where you feel you belong.
  • Describe your experience of singing, whether good or bad. How did it make you feel in our body and in your mind? 
  • Is there something you are too scared to do now because you feel you are not good enough? Perhaps someone in the past has destroyed your confidence by putting you down and saying you are no good. Write about that time and those feelings.


No comments:

Post a Comment