Pages

Thursday 1 August 2024

Bronte Waterfall

'I'll walk where my own nature would be leading:
It vexes me to choose another guide:
Where the grey flocks in ferny glens are feeding;
Where the wild wind blows on the mountain side.

What have those lonely mountains worth revealing?
More glory and more grief than I can tell:
The earth that wakes one human heart to feeling
Can centre both the worlds of Heaven and Hell.'

Emily Brontë

I am lucky to live near Brontë Country, and on a recent walk to the Brontë Waterfall it wasn't hard to imagine Emily and her sisters taking that same route and then on up to Top Withens

For my 18th birthday my sister bought me the Emily Brontë Poems and inscribed part of 'Stanzas' in the front (above). Fifty years later they still touch and inspire me. 

Writing prompts:

  • Click on the 30-second video above, listen to the mountain stream, then pick up your pen and write for six minutes without stopping. 
  • Where has your own nature led you that perhaps others would not have approved? Write about it and the consequences.
  • Write about a time when you walked "where the wild wind blows on the mountain side." Describe it using all your senses. Was there 'glory and grief', 'heaven and hell'?

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment