Pages

Monday 7 October 2024

An Inky Surprise

 

Through thickets deep in dark

The spears of sunlight rush

On brown and yellow mushrooms

Under every bramblebush.


They hide among the stumps

Where birds alight to rest,

And when we lose ourselves,

The shadows guide our quest.


So brief these autumn days

And sunset solitudes,

The twilight has no chance

To linger in the woods.

from 'He's Gone "After Mushrooms"!' by Boris Pasternak 

(click here to read the rest of the poem)

I recently went for a brisk walk, because I was in a low mood, and found a moment of joy. I came upon this wonderful mushroom while coming back down the lane from Coley to Norwood Green. It surprised me, because I didn't notice it on the way up. Is it possible it poked its head up out of the ground when my back was turned?

It's a shaggy ink cap which is, apparently, delicious if picked and eaten straight away. I'll take the word of WildfoodUK for that. Click here to find out more and, (for all you fellow fountain pen addicts), how to use them to make your own ink.

Writing prompts:

  • Write about a time when something surprised you and gave you a moment of joy.

  • What do you do to try to shake yourself out of a low mood? Write about it. 

  • I love foraging, especially for blackberries and crab apples. However, I've never felt confident enough to gather wild mushrooms. Have you? Write for a few minutes about your foraging experiences.

    Please do share some of your thoughts by posting a comment. If you're not sure how, just look on the right at 'Using the Blog'.

    I do get feedback on how many people look at my blog, but would really also like to know what you all think of it. Thanks.

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment